Thursday, May 12, 2016

Goldie Smitlener on "Stolen Path"


What was your filmmaking background before making Stolen Path?

GOLDIE: None, no experience but a will to do it.

Where did the idea come from and what was the process for writing the script?

GOLDIE: When I was 16, I read a novel that I fell in love with. Its contents never left me and I promised myself that one day I will make a movie based on the novel. It took 55 years, but I did it.

How did you and director John Banovich get the script ready to shoot?

GOLDIE: I wrote the script several times during the last 55 years. First time when I was 18. We adjusted script to suit actors.


What was the casting process like?

GOLDIE: Interviews and script reading. Taking a video.

Can you talk about how your team raised the budget and the distribution plan for recouping costs?

GOLDIE: It was personal finances. Approaching distribution now.


What type of camera did you use and what did you love (and hate) about it?

GOLDIE: We filmed over the course of whole year, whenever the cast and crew could get together. We used whatever camera was available at the shooting time.

How much did the story change in the editing process and why did you make the changes you did?

GOLDIE: The story did not change in the editing process.

What was the smartest thing you did during production? The dumbest?

GOLDIE: Not give up when the going got tough.

Filming without experience and having to learn each step as it came up.

And, finally, what did you learn from making this feature that you will take to other projects?

GOLDIE: Be careful from the start who your crew is, so that way you do not have to make changes along the way.

No comments: