Thursday, May 26, 2011

Ty Hodges on “Miles from Home”

What was your filmmaking background before making Miles From Home?

TY: Miles From Home was my first filmmaking experience. Before I was just witnessing productions from an Actor perspective but I was always fascinated by the art of filmmaking.

Where did the idea come from and what was the writing process like?

TY: It was inspired by the growing issues of teenage prostitution and young people that are being raised by society and finding their identity in it. I also felt like from an Actor perspective, roles are not reflecting what is going on in the world.
What's the secret to making a successful low-budget movie?

TY: I think patience and having a great team full of resources. When you don't have a huge budget you have to be supported by a greater purpose.

You wore a lot of hats on this production: writer, director, producer. How did you juggle all those balls at once?

TY: My Faith. It's important to me to be very clear when you're creating. I love being involved wearing all hats because I feel completely invested and selfless. It's a beautiful process.
What kind of camera did you use ... and what did you love about it and hate about it?

TY: DVX 100. I think as long as you have a great story and great DP, that’s what it's all about. Big ups to Todd Segal.

Did the movie change much during the editing process, and if so, how?

TY: It did but I think that’s true with every film. I think it was about managing the tone. With this film dealing with serious issues, we had to make sure there was a balance. You want to keep your audience in mind when editing. I want them to enjoy the experience but also to give them the respect of being an intelligent film viewer.
What was the smartest thing you did during production? The dumbest?

TY: The smartest thing was to hire a amazing cast and crew that was relentless. To be honest I don't believe in "the dumbest" things... I believe you learn from everything. Especially when making films, the more you experience the process the more you find your craft.

And, finally, what did you learn from making the film that you have taken to other projects?

TY: Patience. And, making sure your team is about the project and never the ego.

No comments: